It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:17 am Advanced search

Combat bonuses

Share your ideas and improvements

Combat bonuses

Postby Genma196 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Each bonus granted is cumulative in effect. For example in my last attack against Syke (whiny chum I might add :P), he had the following bonuses:

57 Reapers of Death (146 base power, 100% defensive bonus)
Two implants with 19% defense bonus
84% shield
15% racial

The bonuses are not added, then applied to the power (this is not 237%). Instead, each is cumulative to the total. The calculation currently works like:

57 (number of units) * 146 (power of the unit) * 1.19 (implant) * 1.19 (implant #2) * 1.84 (shielding) * 2 (unit bonus) * 1.15 (racial)

This equals 49873, which is the total power he provided during this skirmish.

If this calculation is what is intended, it heavily favors the higher level player. In later stages of the game, it will provide a huge power disparity between players that will abuse the calculation by sending few units (multiplied multiple times with bonuses) and wiping out much larger armies.

And just to put it to scale, 237% bonus with those units would be 28045 power. You can see the power gap between the two applications of the bonuses.
Genma196

Re: Combat bonuses

Postby poirazisd » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Attacker has the bonuses calculated the same way... so no problem as far as i am concerned...

Lower lvls are supposed to have a hard time attacking i high lvl player...

And believe me when you defend against a high lvl player, best strategy, untill they change the rules about buildings' damage, is not to defend at all...
poirazisd

Postby Genma196 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:55 pm

I understand that it works the same for attackers but my point revolves are later gameplay, especially with a large level difference. I'll agree the best option for lower level players is to avoid the confrontation, but you shouldn't remove the option by creating a scenario where it is impossible to defend (or attack for that matter).

The cumulative bonus can get out of hand quickly. Notice in my example, each defending unit was fighting at roughly 500% more than their base power. This is a huge jump in power that shouldn't be overlooked. These bonuses should be added and not cumulative.
Genma196

Postby poirazisd » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Cause when you loose forces, you loose a number of forces of almost equal power as the power lost by the attacker... this is the only way to be able to defend against multiple attackers...

Don't calculate the numbers for one vs one...

5 attackers of 1000 power each can take out an enemy of 5000 power in a couple of minutes...
poirazisd

Postby criticalfail » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Added bonuses is MUCH easier to balance than cumulative bonuses. Doesn't matter if it goes both ways for the defender and the attacker. Also much easier to calculate. There is really no need for a combat system to be more complicated than it has to be. Clever beats complicated any day of the week.
criticalfail

Return to Game Suggestions