It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:05 pm Advanced search

Give this a shot....

Free for all

Give this a shot....

Postby poirazisd » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:01 pm

So we have twelve crystals of adamantite... bought from Jorolo...

Jorolo being the scum he is ;) gave us a false one...

Being the bragger he is :) he told us so...

We reported to rikardw but he is to busy with the server to help us...

So we have eleven crystals of pure adamantite and the false one which we know has a different weight...

We 've got to find the false one and replace it to move on with the 154161st lvl of our embassy...

Problem is devs didn't predict that kind of a break in the game so no weighter is available...

Only thing we have is a scale from the market... (You know the old ones with one side going up and the other going down)

How can we find the false one, without using the scale more than tree times???
poirazisd

Re: Give this a shot....

Postby Jorolo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:05 pm

Divide them into two, 6:6 and the heaviest one is divided once more into 3:3 the heaviest one of those, just take two of those adamantite, if one is heavier that's the false one i sold, if they would scale even, the odd one that didn't get weight is the false on.

Nice doing business
Jorolo

Postby cojofoco » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:49 am

Too bad Jorolo ;) you dont know if the fals one is heavier or lighter than the others :D
So you cant use the way you described.
At least thats how i know this riddle.
cojofoco

Postby Vira » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:59 am

I think I got it... hopefully I can explain it in words and have it still work like it does in my head.

Step 1: 4 crystals on each side. If they match you have it narrowed down to the other 4. Go to step 2a.
If they don't match it's a little trickier. So, now it's important to remember which ones come from the lighter set and which ones come from the heavier set. Go to 2b.

2a: weigh 2 of the potential fakes against 2 known real ones. if they match, the fake is in the other two, if they don't match, the fake is obviously in the two potential fakes you just weighed. Go to 3a.

2b: Put one of the light set and two of the heavy set on each side of the scale. If they match you know it's one of the other light ones. Go to 3b. If they don't match, then you've narrowed it down to the one from the original light set that is on the light side, and the two ones from the heavy set from the heavy side Go to 3c.

3a: You have it down to two. Compare one with a real one. If they match, it's the other one. If they don't, then it's that one.

3b: Measure the last two light ones. The lighter one is the fake.

3c: Measure the two heavy ones. If they balance, then the fake is the light one. If they do not balance, the heavier of them is the fake.

Does that work?
Vira

Postby poirazisd » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:05 am

That works... but...

In 2b you ll have to add a "good" one to the side without the "light" one...

In 3b you have left 3 "light" ones but that's not a problem...

Well done.
poirazisd

Postby Vira » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:06 pm

No, in 2b there is a light one on each side, so in 3b there are only two light ones left.
Vira

Postby poirazisd » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:12 pm

k...

Its either way...

Good job...
poirazisd

Return to Off-Topic Discussion